AGRONOMIST EXPERT IN AGROFORESTRY – TECHNICAL AND PROJECT MANAGER MOZAMBIQUE
Job location: Quelimane, province of Zambezia, with frequent travels to the Districts of Nicoadala, Namacurra, and Mocubela
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of renewal)
Coordination and technical supervision of activities
As Agronomist – Technical and project manager, the candidate will be responsible for direct management of the activities related to planting Agroforestry Systems by an Syntropic Agriculture approach (see this link) under the projects of the programme of ICEI Mozambique: “FORESTE – Fortalecimento para Organizações rurais REsilientes e Sistemas Territoriais Ecologicamente sustentáveis” (AICS), “Quelimane agricola: produce, cresce e consuma sostenibile” (AICS), “SACRA – Sviluppo Agricolo per Comunità Resilienti e Autonome” (AICS) e “Desenvolvimento de atividades relacionadas com a agricultura sustentável, piscicultura e nutrição para as comunidades nos distritos de Alto Molócue e Maganja da Costa na Província de Zambézia” (FAO). More specifically, the technical activities in charge of the candidate will concern the introduction of sustainable and innovative farming techniques (Agroecology, Agroforestry Systems – SAFs, Syntropic Agriculture), also by developing production units resilient to climate change and agro-fishing units, by supplementing SAFs with fishery ponds with manual watering and innovative watering systems. At the same time, the candidate will have to ensure coordination and technical supervision for all theactivities implemented under the ongoing projects.
Project management and coordination
The candidate will be responsible for directly implementing ICEI’s activities under the projects “FORESTE”, “Quelimane Agricola”, “S.A.C.R.A” and “FAO”, and for achieving the respective results, by performing all the operational aspects (as well as supervising the logistic and administrative aspects), within the scheduled times and based on received funds.
The candidate’s main tasks include:
- Setting up annual planning – in collaboration with the Country Representative – and implementing the activities directly managed by ICEI, in compliance with the deadlines scheduled under such planning;
- Working with the “Responsible for Accounting and Management”, checking that the available financial resources are spent in line with the project budget and the operative plan, and in compliance with donors procedures;
- Working with the “Responsible for Accounting and Management” to manage the procurements related to the project activities;
- Recruiting and coordinating the project technical staff, supported by the Country Representative;
Ensuring proper implementation of the projects M&E systems, supervising data collection by the filed responsibles;
- Preparing periodic reports on behalf of ICEI, supporting the Country Representative, for local authorities and donors;
- Supporting the Country Representative in managing the relations with partner/lead NGOs and local project partners, by attending periodic operative meetings.
The candidate will have to support the Country Representative in the process of identification and draft of new projects, as far as technical aspects are concerned.
Supervising compliance with local regulation and security protocols
The candidate shall ensure – supported by the Country Representative and the Responsible for Accounting and Management – proper compliance with local labor, security and safety regulations of the Republic of Mozambique as well as with ICEI regulation. In addition, the candidate shall ensure compliance with openness and information rules (sending quarterly reports to the local Authorities) as required by the provisions for legal recognition of foreign NGO in Mozambique.
- The agronomist will directly report to ICEI’s Country Representative in Mozambique and then to the African projects desk at ICEI headquarters in Italy
- As for contractual and administrative aspects, the candidate shall refer to ICEI headquarters in Italy
- Bachelor’s degree and field expertise in scientific disciplines (forestry, tropical agronomy or similar disciplines).
- At least 5 years of experience as Project Manager and/or Consultant in rural development programmes with technical coordination tasks. Candidates with previous experience in East Africa and in Mozambique, and/or knowledge of the methodology applied by ICEI’s programme in Mozambique (SAF/Syntropic Agriculture), will be preferred.
- Knowledge of AICS managing and financial reporting procedures. Knowledge of other donors procedures such as UE-Europeaid, UN, etc. is also preferred.
- Good written and oral knowledge of Portuguese language, knowledge of English language also preferred.
- Activity planning, management and monitoring skills.
- Ability to work in team, to manage and coordinate work groups.
- Strong MS Office skills (Word, Excel).
- Report drafting skills.
- Ability to manage logistical aspects and to adapt to frequent field missions.
Please send your CV only if you are meeting the above requirements.
The candidates interested in this position should send their CV and a brief motivation letter to CV@icei.it within January 27, 2020 putting in the subject line “Technical responsible Mozambique”.
Emails not meeting these requirements will not be considered.
Also CVs sent after this date will not be considered.
Only preselected candidates will be contacted.
This selection is conducted in compliance with equal opportunities (L. 903/77).