ECO-ILHAS – Mozambique
Site:Province of Zambesia, District of Pebane, Área de Protecção Ambiental das Ilhas Primeiras e Ilhas Segundas (APAPS)
Period: 2015 – 27/04/2019
in Italy: WWF Italia, Lega Pesca
in Mozambique: ORAM, WWF Mozambique -Care Alliance
Sponsor: Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), Prosolidar Onlus Foundation, 8×1000 Waldesian Church
The project shall intervene in the management of agro-forest-pastoral and small fishing activities in the coastal environment , with the goal of enhancing and ensuring the future availability of food resources for the residents of the protected area of Ilhas Primeiras e Segundas (APAPS), in the district of Pebane (province of Zambezia).
The project intends to define the rights of exclusive use of resources (land and natural resources) by each community, in order to make them responsible and aware of the link between present use and future availability of resources.
The design of the project was based on past experience with participated management of natural resources in Mozambique. While national experiences with CBNRM are many, none of them concerned marine-coastal protected areas. The project can develop a best practice on CBNRM in a marine-coastal environment, in order to support the draft of a national policy on the participated management of protected areas. This shall be ensured by coordination with the National CBNRM Platform. The project is fully focused on the environmentally sustainable management of natural resources in a protected area (promoting conservation farming and sustainable management of natural resources). Protecting APAPS will help to ensure the resilience of the marine-coastal system of Sofala Bank and could be the starting point for designing a Decision Support System for managing the park.
- Contributing to the protection of the marine-coastal ecosystem in the protected area of Ilhas Primeiras e Segundas, Province of Zambesia
- Promoting the right to land and the use of its resources
In particular, enhancing the future availability and sustainability of food resources for 6 local communities in the protected area of Ilhas Primeiras e Segundas, through a management system of marine-coastal resources and guaranteed right to land.
The project is targeted to the following direct beneficiaries:
- 30 representatives of the institutions (administrators of the Pebane District and the Park, Province Department of Tourism of Zambezia), SDAE (farming and fishing), ANAC (national administration of protected areas), IDPPE , INAQUA
- 90 people involved in the 6 CoGeP (Comité de Gestão Participativa) in every village
- 120 farmers involved in agriculture and fire management, villages of Ossiva, Impinge, Maligodie and Nacuzumba
- 30 women engaged in tilapia aquaculture, villages of Ossiva, Impinge, Maligodie and Nacuzumba
- 20 women involved in 2 associations managing plants for farming Scylla spp,, in the villages of Nabize and Mulai
- 40 fishers involved in net exchanges;
- 40 farmers involved in animal husbandry
- 60 women involved in self-construction and sale of stoves;
- At least 2,000 people sensibilized on food and environmental issues
- Established 120 family lots farmed with conservation techniques
- Exchange of illegal fishing equipment with legal nets
- Established 30 aquaculture units in internal waters and 20 in wetlands
- Established 4 community-managed animal shelters
- Sensibilized communities on the right to land and accompaniment to the process of registering 4 community DUAT
- Accompaniment to the process of establishing and strengthening 6 CoGeP (rural diagnostics, mapping, definition of adjacent areas, etc.)
- Developed 6 management plans for RN and identified areas of respect, technical support and supervision of implementation
- Established 6 units for producing high-efficiency stoves
- Sensibilization on the sustainable management of natural and food resources
- Support to national strategy for the participated management of natural resources